Familiar to all those who have borrowed books from the library is the Indian bookplate, designed and given by Edward E. Bartlett. This plate is a reproduction of a portion of one of Couse’s famous Indian paintings, depicting an Indian crouching over a spring to drink – relating to the Indian meaning for Amagansett, “the place of good drinking water.” The motto in Algonquian under the painting means, “He who runs may (or can) read.”
The mission of the Amagansett Free Library is to provide quality materials and services which serve the educational, informational, cultural and recreational needs of the entire community in an atmosphere that is welcoming and respectful.
The Library provides current materials of high interest in a variety of formats for all members of our diverse community. The Library provides timely, accurate information and reference service employing a highly qualified staff who provide the link between library materials and users in a congenial and professional manner.
The Library supports the education and research goals of the community. The Library encourages young children to develop a love of reading, learning and libraries by providing materials and programs for children, as well as for their parents and caregivers. Serving as a community and cultural center it is grounded in a responsibility to offer free library service, a responsiveness to the community, and the utilization of modern technology.
- Dan Mongan, President
- Calandra Sheen, Vice President
- Shari Thompson, Secretary
- Rachel Gruzen, Treasurer
- Meredith Cairns
- Brock Lownes
- Lynne Weinlandt
- Director: Cynthia Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Director & Head of Reference: Anne Jones, email@example.com
- Head of Circulation, Corinne Page, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Archivist, Jacqueline Marks, email@example.com
Over 100 years of history at the Amagansett Free Library
It was through the combined efforts of the entire village, and the material contributions of Dr. Rossiter Johnson in particular, that the Amagansett Free Library got its start. Dr. Johnson donated several hundred books to the Amagansett order of the American Mechanics, with the understanding that these same volumes should go to the Amagansett Free Library upon its organization.
With this incentive the library was organized on February 22, 1916, and housed over the post office. The wonderful gift of house and property from Mrs. Mortimer Levering provided the foundation for the present library. The house given was an old Schellinger homestead, built probably in 1790 by Samuel Schellinger for his brother Jacob and situated in the heart of the village. it was repaired and made ready as a library by the donor, and the dedication ceremonies took place on January first, 1921.
The generosity of Dr. Johnson and Mrs. Levering led the way to more and more contributions, from villagers and summer visitors alike, of books and more books, of furnishings for the library, and of the voluntary services of several ladies serving as librarian. This volunteer effort was continued until 1930, when a kind contributor started paying for the services of a steady librarian.
from book: Amagansett Lore and Legend. From chapter: Amagansett Free Library by Elizabeth B. Schellinger
The Amagansett Free Library’s Camperdown Elm has been grafted on to an American Elm and thus stands much taller than a traditional Camperdown, which has the appearance of a bonsai.
A form of the “Wych” Elm, also known as Umbrella Elm. The name Wych derives from the Old English wice, which meant supple and, in former times, was used for any Elm.
The Camperdown is one of the finest weeping trees and is best as a lawn specimen, with its wide-flung crown of large, dropping branches and twisting stems, making a delightful bower.
It is a coastal tree, par excellence, withstanding the salty buffets of Atlantic gales with no more than a rustle of its supple twigs.